Harry's Retirement Home Page
Summer in New Zealand, 2005
Harry's first summer in New Zealand
Harry & Iris Matthews
Skip to images:
either all 27 or
our favourite 10.
The year 2005 produced our first summer in
New Zealand since retirement in July 2003 (2004's weather was so bad that
Harry doesn't count it). We spent January to April, 2005, entertaining guests
and exploring New Zealand with them, and watching our new house being built
in Blenheim. The map shows the places where the photographs were taken.
Click either map to enlarge them both.
Here are the places where we took the photographs.
- Motueka (in the north of the South Island)
- "Pupu" Springs (in the north of the South Island, not shown on the map)
- Farewell Spit (the north-west feature of the South Island, just visible on the map but not named)
- Marlborough Sounds (the feature of the north-east corner of the South Island)
- Kaikoura (on the east coast of the South Island, north of Christchurch)
- Blenheim (north-east of the South Island)
- Auckland (North Island)
- Rotorua (central North Island, north of Taupo)
- Dunedin (east coast of the South Island)
- Moeraki Boulders (north of Dunedin, not shown on map)
- Christchurch (east coast of South Island)
Click here for some
technical notes on the digital photography. This is unchanged from our previous trips.
Viewing the images
The images are available in three resolutions, low, medium, and high. The current resolution is shown in bold below.
If you want to change it, please click on one of the other resolutions.
- Low Resolution images are up to 160x120 pixels, 3 to 8 KB per image but these are really small, "thumbnails".
- Medium resolution images are up to 640x480 pixels in size. The JPEG format files vary in size from about 30 to about 80 KB per image. You can view these with an ordinary telephone modem, if you have a little patience.
- High resolution images are up to 1024x768 pixels in size, typically 200 to 350 KB per image. These are recommended for a fast Internet connection such as cable or DSL.
The default list of images contains 27 photographs but a smaller subset of 10 is also available.
The current list is printed in bold below. Click on the other list if you want to change to it.
View the images consecutively
List image titles, with thumbnails.
List image titles, without thumbnails.